• For those who registered 12/9 or 12/8, please go to your profile and select your theological system. This will show up under your avatar so we know where everyone is coming from.

Davidic Covenant exegesis

DateNowney

Theological System
1689 Federalism
The Davidic covenant is the most confusing to me. I have read Pink's book on the covenants and am wondering if there are any other good places to look for a more detailed exegesis or explanation of the DC? It seems to be left out somewhat in the new literature.

RCB_texas

Theological System
1689 Federalism
The Davidic covenant is hard for me too. And, I think the article Brandon posted helps, but also shows the difficulty.

It seems that the Bible is clear that the Abrahamic and Mosaic covenant have been fulfilled and done away with. Fulfilled by God's mercy and grace in keeping the actual physical promises. Fulfilled in what was promised has come in Jesus and His new covenant. Done away with because of the kings' and nation's disobedience.

The Davidic seems to be spoken of as fulfilled and done away with, but not really. So, it's harder for me to see the discontinuity. I guess for me, I'm trying to see the way in which Christ in the new covenant fulfilled the promise in the Davidic, without being a part of the Davidic.

So, how is the Davidic a mere shadow of the New covenant...seeing that Jesus is actually of the tribe of Judah. Maybe I'm rambling and not making sense. Sorry if that is the case.

Last edited:

brandonadams

Administrator
Staff member
Theological System
1689 Federalism
So, how is the Davidic a mere shadow of the New covenant...seeing that Jesus is actually of the tribe of Judah. Maybe I'm rambling and not making sense. Sorry if that is the case.
Because the kingdom of Christ is not the kingdom of Israel, which was destroyed.

Jesus was also "actually" the offspring of Abraham. That doesn't mean the Covenant of Circumcision was/is the New Covenant.

The distinction between the New Covenant and these others is the distinction between the ordo salutis (order of salvation: union with Christ and the benefits it brings; redemption applied) and the historia salutis (the history of salvation/redemption: everything that happens to bring about redemption accomplished). The Covenant of Circumcision promised that an offspring of Abraham would be the Savior who would bless the nations. However, He blesses the nations by establishing the New Covenant, by which we are united to Christ and saved. The Covenant of Circumcision does not unite anyone to Christ. Likewise the Davidic.